Monday 9 April 2007

On Route 66 Tucumcari

















Well it was just about 24 hours travelling door to door, Manchester airport - Newark - Albuquerque, NM. Quite a journey. Slept a while, readjusted my watch to USA Mountain time and headed east in a Chevrolet to Tucumcari along I40 and Route 66, listening to Big I radio.

Heading east the temperature plumeted and signes of yesterday's snowfall could be seen. It was 85 degrees F here a couple of weeks ago, now it's barely above freezing.
Had a warm welcome from the owner of the Blue Swallow Motel (vintage place) but will the "tourist cabin" cope with the cold? The heater looks promising.

Huge hailstones hit this small town a couple of weeks ago shattering the neon lighting everywhere costing a $20,000 to fix - neon is important on Route 66 but I won't be seeing as much of it here as I'd hoped.

This is an interesting place, full of 50s and 60s places liked Tepee Curios, old petrol stations... however I'm heading west to warmer parts tomorrow.

No comments: