Friday 4 May 2007

Cohasset and Scituate (South shore - Boston) (Route 66 Project on hold)



I met Esther Maschaio (who I'd met about 5 years ago in Edinburgh) and talked to her in her studio in Scituate. What an amazing studio in a barn attached to a "Cape Cod colonial" style house with clapboard siding. Amongst other things,she's had an exhibition in Rotterdam since I last met her. I loved her prints and talking to her and the time went all too quickly. I was trying to persuade her to come to to the UK again - maybe she will.


Later met Steve Smalley, a painter who is very knowledgeable about Pop Art and seemed to know much more about London than I do. We engaged in a wide ranging discussion about Route 66, Hockney, Boshier,Yarber, Hambling and many other things.

Found out some new ways of doing monotypes from Joan and plan to use these in relation to Route 66 research material on my return. The style fits in with the work of David Tress which I was studying in the UK.

Saw an interesting Print Exhibition at South Shore Arts Centre, Cohaesset and also saw Boston Printmakers exhibition at Duxbury Arts Complex
Early night tonight as we setting off first thing on a boat to look for whales.

No comments: